6.04.2007

On a ratings scale of 0-6

I have no idea where I'd rate on the Kinsey scale. Even after I finished "The Inner Circle" this morning after waiting the whole weekend to read the last 20 pages. Guess that's what happens when you have to leave the book at work.



Another offering from T.C. Boyle, and I'm realizing I think I've already read his best works in "Drop City" and "The Tortilla Curtain." "The Inner Circle" is a fictitious account of the period of time when Dr. Alfred Kinsey was doing his now famous sex research. Told from the point of view of an assistant, it blends facts with a fictional story to give Boyle a background in which to tell a story about sex and ultimately love.

An interesting story, but it dragged on (430 pages) and ultimately the point was something he could've gotten to much quicker. Still like his writing style, just wish he had stronger plots at times.

I'm almost done with "Fast Food Nation," which I'd been reading at home but I picked it up at work after finishing the Boyle, since it is also in stock at the warehouse. I wonder how long it will be until I eat fast food again. It's been more than a week now and I don't even want to buy hamburger at the store and cook it myself. A fantastic story in its own right, a non-fiction documentary style account of how fast food became a national obsession and all of the costs, economical and human that have come with the transformation. It name drops Upton Sinclair's "The Jungle" a lot, a 1906 account of what kind of conditions meat packers worked in in Chicago's meatpacking district. might be worth picking up as well.




But I think when I'm done with this one I'm going to try and find something a little fluffier. Or the new Chuck Pahlaniuk. One of the two.








I grabbed The Police's new double disc greatest hits collection and I think I'm having a rediscovery of how good classic rock can be. At work we listen to a lot of classic stuff on the radio and I hear songs from time to time and I realize that I miss them. Being super hip and keeping up on the next big thing has its drawbacks. At times it seems like every band has a very short shelf life and for the most part bands are more likely to break up than make even five albums, making it difficult to find long lasting loyalty to any given band.

Go Pink Floyd!

No comments:

 

web page counter
Walmart Online Store